Monday, April 6, 2009

your and you're . . .

where do I begin? This one just really bugs me. Maybe it's because I had to teach contractions in first grade and if first graders are starting to get it, then I'm pretty sure this one should be common sense for adults. SO here we go:

your shows posession as in
That is your dog.
The dog belongs to the person, so the spelling y-o-u-r should be used here.

you're is a contraction, meaning you are as in
I'm sad that you're sick.
You could just as easily say I'm sad that you are sick.

The easiest way to remember which form of your to use is to try saying your sentence saying "you are" instead of "your." If it works, then you need to use you're, if it doesn't then you need to use your.

Example:

If your sentence is "I'm sure you're going to do great." Then you should say, "I'm sure you are going to do great." That sentence still makes sense, so the contraction is the right form of your to use.

Tomorrow's lesson will be on there, their, and they're.

*Disclaimer: I'm not so great at all other grammer, so don't judge me. And I start sentences with conjunctions, and I overuse commas, and I always use runon sentences. Sorry.

8 comments:

Julie said...

I think you have been trapped in your house to long with sick kids! That kind of stuff really bugs Justin too.

I hope the kids are better. We missed you yesterday. Amanda asked where the other girl was.

Laura said...

Oh what a good little teacher you're! (That works right? I replaced "you are" with "you're")

Coombs Family said...

I love Laura's comment! I want to know what prompted this outrage.

Aubrey said...

a-MEN! I think I have caugh myself almost make this same mistake once or twice and it almost made me sick... :)

Jamie said...

:) Loved it! Based on your sidebar pic of Jane I think we need to go swimming again sometime in the near future!

Shelly said...

That bugs me too!!!! Sorry Jane is sick!!

Kim said...

I don't know Laura but her comment is hilarious! I hate English and all that grammar stuff but even I know about you are, your and you're. Thanks for the lesson. Hope Jane is better soon!

Lindsay said...

too funny. I'm with Amy... what is this all about? good lesson. You can also give one on "its and it's".